[Xastir] Rtree

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 26 15:28:51 EST 2005

Okay, I guess I'm just a pain in the butt...

I finally got around to trying out the rtree option.

It's not on my list of favourites... I find that it slows down the display
dramatically. Once you've zoomed in and out quite a bit, things speed up a
little. However, those first couple times take 15-20 times longer to display
than without rtree. The speed increase once rtree is in place, doesn't make
much difference for me. It seems that the rtree data clears out of memory
quite quickly as well.

It could quite possibly be the way I have my shapefile data split up. I cut
the province up into Maidenhead grid squares, and also pulled the major
highways out for the whole province.

James

BTW, thanks for the pointer for fixing my GDAL problems, Tom.