[Xastir] RFC for users of Xastir with a D700

David Flood davidf4 at mindspring.com
Mon May 9 16:21:21 EDT 2005

Hello all,

While using Xastir with my D700, I noticed a behavior that can be fixed by
changing the startup and stop scripts however, it will require adding three
more seconds delay to the stop script.  Since several people have commented
about the length of time necessary for the current D700 script to end, I
thought I'd ask before submitting the fix.

The behavior:

When changing from Packet mode back to APRS mode, the first location
transmitted by the radio (when in auto-beacon mode) will be whatever the
location was when you switched from Packet to APRS.  This means that if you
have driven someplace using Xastir and are now switching back to internal
APRS (and/or shutting down), your track looks like you suddenly jumped back
to wherever you started your trip.

The fix:

Turn off Beaconing before switching to Packet mode (startup script) and then
have the stop script wait at least three seconds after switching back to
APRS mode before turning back on Beaconing.  This gives the internal APRS a
chance to get the current location before starting to transmit.

It's nice to have a radio that all this can be done via a program and also a
program that the developers are willing to customize the behavior
specifically for a radio.

Comments? Suggestions?  Flames?

Dave
KD7MYC