[Xastir] RFC for users of Xastir with a D700

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon May 9 22:58:35 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:21:21PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <davidf4 at mindspring.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello all,
>
> While using Xastir with my D700, I noticed a behavior that can be fixed by
> changing the startup and stop scripts however, it will require adding three
> more seconds delay to the stop script.  Since several people have commented
> about the length of time necessary for the current D700 script to end, I
> thought I'd ask before submitting the fix.
>
> The behavior:
>
> When changing from Packet mode back to APRS mode, the first location
> transmitted by the radio (when in auto-beacon mode) will be whatever the
> location was when you switched from Packet to APRS.  This means that if you
> have driven someplace using Xastir and are now switching back to internal
> APRS (and/or shutting down), your track looks like you suddenly jumped back
> to wherever you started your trip.
>
> The fix:
>
> Turn off Beaconing before switching to Packet mode (startup script) and then
> have the stop script wait at least three seconds after switching back to
> APRS mode before turning back on Beaconing.  This gives the internal APRS a
> chance to get the current location before starting to transmit.
>
> It's nice to have a radio that all this can be done via a program and also a
> program that the developers are willing to customize the behavior
> specifically for a radio.
>
> Comments? Suggestions?  Flames?

I haven't noticed the behavior, but I'm in favor of having the base D700
startup script do the right thing.  I'm not one of those who considers the slow
start-up a problem.

On another note:  I often see my D700 responding with "eh?" when xastir sends
the MYCALL command before every posit (while watching the Incoming Data window).
In fact, I had to go ahead and set MYCALL by hand and save it in the internal
TNC to avoid ever letting the MYCALL xastir sends fail and leave a NOCALL
callsign.  Has anyone ever seen that?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster