[Xastir] making maps

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Wed May 11 21:39:03 EDT 2005

I have a friend in Brazil who has "enhanced" some of the garmin
mapsource maps by recording his own breadcrumb trails and adding them to
the gamin maps.  He's using a program called GPS track maker
http://www.gpstm.com/ that can export to several formats, including
winaprs maps.  I know xastir can read winaprs maps, but my question is
more in the direction of aprsworld and findu.

In the end, my friend wants to have better maps of brazil than are
presently available on findu or aprsworld, and my suggestion was that if
he could get his maps to shapelib files that Jim at aprsworld would
probably include them.    My feeling is that it would be better to
contact the author of gpstm and get him to add an export to shapelib
function.

I'm asking this here b/c I believe that there's enough knowlege here to
tell us if this is the right path to follow, and how to get there.

Since GPSTM is written for windows, what libraries can I steer it's
author towards to support convertion to shapelibs?

How can we convert winaprs maps to shapelibs?  Yes I know there will be
layer issues, but as I recall, winaprs maps do differentiate between
water, main roads and residential streets.

Will the resulting shapelibs be compatible with aprsworld's mapping engine?

Wes (off on a tangent as usual)