[Xastir] Delimitative list of dependencies ?

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Sat May 14 20:41:15 EDT 2005

Hi Andrew,

On 15/05/2005, at 6:44 PM, Andrew Rich wrote:

> What is your average ham going to do ?

On linux you have the problem that there are so many distributions
each having differences that building "packages" can be difficult.
There are rpms/debs/<whatever gentoo uses> available for older
versions of Xastir that the "average ham" can use to help get them
going.  1.5.0 is still new enough that the people that build the
packages haven't caught up yet.

I'm the maintainer for the FreeBSD port of Xastir and I'm hoping to
submit the new port this week.  Once that is in the tree it will be
as simple as "portinstall xastir" with an updated ports tree for mr
average ham to get 1.5.0 onto their FreeBSD machine.  At the moment
they can do that and get 1.4.1.  That still works fine.

> How does one make an RPM ? once you have a compiled working version ?

Search the net.  There are plenty of tutorials on building RPMs.  I'm
sure a lot of people would appreciate a binary package.

Carl.