[Xastir] Line of sight

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue May 17 18:08:15 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 02:50:41PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rcampbell at pcwi.net> flavor, containing:
> Hello,
>
> I have used Xastir off and on for a few years now.  I haven't used the
> most recent versions yet, so I don't know what the new features are.  Is
> there currently any way to calculate line of sight when using
> topographic or DEM maps?  If not, how hard would it be to add this feature?
>
> It's a little off topic, but are there any Linux programs that can do
> this?  I am currently using MapTech's Terrain Navigator Pro for this,
> but I would prefer using something on my Linux systems.

Grass can do LOS calculations.  It is not simple to use GRASS, but it has the
capability, through the "r.los" command.

http://grass.itc.it/

Since Xastir has no current capability to read and grok DEMs, and can only
display contour maps, it would probably be a good bit of work to get such
a capability directly into xastir.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster