[Xastir] More info - xastir v. gpsd / direct

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 20 12:16:30 EDT 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Troy M Campbell wrote:

> I'm just a perl guy so I may be WAY off base here.  If so, just tell me go away.
>
> I've written parsers for GPRMC and GPGGA sentences in perl on the
> basic stamp (yuck) .
>
> in perl, its just
>
> @fields = split /,/, $string
>
> Then go to the correct field(s)  and use sprintf  to format it the way I want.
>
> Is it that much more difficult in c++  ?

Who knows?  We don't use C++.  hi hi

We use generic C.

I'm a Perl guy too, and you'll see similar types of functions
(like split) in the NMEA parsing routines for received APRS packets.
The serial GPS parsing routines are currently separate code and
written quite differently.  Someday it'd be nice to go back and
rewrite them, but it may never be necessary.  Better to focus on
things that need priority attention than rewriting working code.