[Xastir] Looking for a SUSE user for some advice.

ke4lkq ke4lkq at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 12 21:30:22 EDT 2006

I have used SUSE since 9.0.... and I have NEVER had an UPGRADE work.
I install as a new installation, having kept all my configuration info such as
all special config files, program installations files, (rpm's, src's, etc)
BACKED UP.  Even then things need to be tweeked betwenn different versions of
the same vendor because of things they do not tell you untill you see the
error or message as needing an upgraded this or that or a fall back library.

I save everyting in all the "etc" directories as well as all the
dot(something) files in you home directory for a basis to begin configuring
all the new stuff...  Sorry that it is not as simple as an upgrade like they
tell you, I have always got something or other really clobbered and had to
install from scratch so often that I do not even attempt an upgrade of ANY
distro.. anymore.

I'll try to help you all I can, just let me know what you run up against.
Upgrades? Bad idea.....

You may want to wait untill 10.2 this fall.  Suse has taken some code out of
the kernel in the 10.1 version that may or not affect you. That code was not
to be taken out until later versions. This breaks support for some special
hardware that I use. I have more than 1 developer (commercial) working on
these problems.  Xastir is okay.....

Victor