[Xastir] Send Message Dialog improved

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Tue Aug 22 09:07:35 EDT 2006

I'm not a big fan of the dialog changes.

I liked being able to quickly change the path on the fly. I don't like opening
another dialog to make the changes. I run an APRS net (a voice net about APRS
which is supplemented by APRS for check-ins, question submissions, etc.) and
can easily have 20+ message dialogs open. Being able to quickly adjust a path
is very important to reduced the QRM produced by a genated by a
one-size-for-all messaging path.

What I would like to see around messaging is a way to see all outstanding
messages (i.e., messages that are still retransmitting after I have closed a
send message box). I would like to have a setting to let me use the reverse
path, default path or a specific path by default. And while I'm mentioning it,
a "View - Message Traffic" like dialog that shows messages just sent to/by me
would be nice - have you ever got a message, closed the messagebox, then
realized that you need some information from that message? I generally go to
findu.com to see the message after that. And finally, I would like some
indication of where my message will "wrap" to multiple messages and have the
ability to have my message "wrap" to shorter lengths for when I'm chatting
with someone who is using a D7 or D700 (ideally, automatically figured out by
Xastir and optionally set/unset by the user).

Just my 2 cents.