[Xastir] Projects we can learn from?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Aug 23 23:12:41 EDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 07:45:49AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> flavor, containing:

> projection via proj4 and gdal is handled well in mapserver.  We can thus
> request a WMS image in WGS84 (lat-lon unproj) or mod xastir to cover
> different projections and get "pretty" maps.  MY thought on this is that
> most of our work w/ Xastir, especially the SAR, is local work and covers
> a small enough area that planar flat projections work.  How many of us
> are further north/south than 60 or so degrees?  So lat/lon unproj
> representation is somewhere between good enough and a good idea.  And,
> for all the work Curt's done on rhumb lines, etc., given a local area
> planar workzone, simple geometries can accomplish most of our requirements.

With one important exception:  maps printed out out of xastir in its
unprojected coordinate system are almost useless to ground resources since
it is not a conformal projection.  That is, if I were to hand a search
team a map from xastir they could not use it with their compass to transfer
bearings from map to field and back at all.  This is a major shortcoming
in my opinion, since it means that I always have to have some other way of
producing maps for such a use.