[Xastir] Crash and Restore

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Dec 2 19:24:30 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 07:13:05PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n2diy at losch.net> flavor, containing:
> Darryl Gibson wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Just recovered from a nasty system crash, well almost recovered. Now
> >when I run Xastir I get the following error:
> >
> >xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.2: cannot open
> >shared object file:
> >No such file or directory
> >darryl at Chatto:~$
> >

> >I've been backing up /etc, /home, /usr, and /var, what am I missing for
> >Xastir?
>
> Jees, not even a nibble on this one!?

[I'll bite, but can't promise results]

> Here are my results:
>

> darryl at Chatto:~/src/xastir$ ./bootstrap.sh
>     6) Removing autom4te.cache directory...
>     5) Running aclocal...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 16: aclocal: command not found

You need to fix this before proceeding.  Make sure autoconf and automake are
installed.  The message above indicates that they are not.  Until you fix that
problem, nothing else will work.

>     4) Running autoheader...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 19: autoheader: command not found
>     3) Running autoconf...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 22: autoconf: command not found
>     2) Running automake...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 26: automake: command not found
>     1) Checking for 'mkinstalldirs'... Not Found
>        Attempting to copy it from system directories'
> ***ERROR: Couldn't copy the file***
> Bootstrap complete.
> darryl at Chatto:~/src/xastir$
>
> darryl at Chatto:~/src/xastir$ ./configure
> bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

Of course not.  Automake and autoconf aren't installed, so configure was not
created.

> Now, if I "cd ~/xastir" the following happens:
>
> darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$ ./bootstrap.sh
>     6) Removing autom4te.cache directory...
>     5) Running aclocal...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 16: aclocal: command not found
>     4) Running autoheader...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 19: autoheader: command not found
>     3) Running autoconf...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 22: autoconf: command not found
>     2) Running automake...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 26: automake: command not found
>     1) Checking for 'mkinstalldirs'... Found!
> Bootstrap complete.
> darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$
>
> darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$ ./configure

This only worked because you apparently had an old configure script from a
previous boostrap in that directory.  It didn't work in ~/src/xastir because
it was a fresh checkout --- the configure script doesn't exist until bootstrap
runs with no error messages.

I don't have an answer for your missing libXm.so issue --- that is a shared
library that is part of the Motif package (either OpenMotif or Lesstif
depending on what your favorite flavor was).  Check that both the motif and
-dev packages for it are installed.