[Xastir] Crash and Restore

Darryl Gibson n2diy at losch.net
Sat Dec 2 19:13:05 EST 2006

Darryl Gibson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just recovered from a nasty system crash, well almost recovered. Now
> when I run Xastir I get the following error:
>
> xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.2: cannot open
> shared object file:
> No such file or directory
> darryl at Chatto:~$
>

> I've been backing up /etc, /home, /usr, and /var, what am I missing for
> Xastir?

Jees, not even a nibble on this one!?

Well, after fooling around, with no joy, I decided to start from
scratch, and once again followed the instructions found here.

http://info.aprs.net/wikka.php?wakka=GaleWilkinson

Not trusting Synaptic to do the right things, I checked all the packages
with apt-get, and it tells me they are installed, and I have the latest
versions.

With the exception of libmagick6-dev, which was replaced by
libmagick9-dev, which is installed.

The cvs co went without any errors, and everything was marked with a U,
for upgrade I believe?

Here are my results:

darryl at Chatto:~/src/xastir$ ./bootstrap.sh
     6) Removing autom4te.cache directory...
     5) Running aclocal...
./bootstrap.sh: line 16: aclocal: command not found
     4) Running autoheader...
./bootstrap.sh: line 19: autoheader: command not found
     3) Running autoconf...
./bootstrap.sh: line 22: autoconf: command not found
     2) Running automake...
./bootstrap.sh: line 26: automake: command not found
     1) Checking for 'mkinstalldirs'... Not Found
        Attempting to copy it from system directories'
***ERROR: Couldn't copy the file***
Bootstrap complete.
darryl at Chatto:~/src/xastir$

darryl at Chatto:~/src/xastir$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
darryl at Chatto:~/src/xastir$

Now, if I "cd ~/xastir" the following happens:

darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$ ./bootstrap.sh
     6) Removing autom4te.cache directory...
     5) Running aclocal...
./bootstrap.sh: line 16: aclocal: command not found
     4) Running autoheader...
./bootstrap.sh: line 19: autoheader: command not found
     3) Running autoconf...
./bootstrap.sh: line 22: autoconf: command not found
     2) Running automake...
./bootstrap.sh: line 26: automake: command not found
     1) Checking for 'mkinstalldirs'... Found!
Bootstrap complete.
darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$

darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$ ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no

Configuring xastir 1.8.5

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$

I checked my path, and it looks ok, but I'm not sure why the system is
telling me no such file or directory?

darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$ $PATH
bash:
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:
No such file or directory
darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$

At this point I don't know what to do? My notes from my previous cvs
install are on looseleaf paper, and they got loose from me. :/ And my
Thunderbird Mail was partially munged in the crash, and half of my
Xastir emails are mia.

Does apt-get have a cache of packages that it thinks are installed, but
I could have lost in the crash?

I'm open to any, and all suggestions, including rebuilding the box from
scratch, which I'm planning to do anyway. But I would prefer to have
Xastir operational before rebuilding the box.

73

--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
RLU X 182668/379552

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the
distinction of a free man from a slave.”   --  Andrew Fletcher, A
Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)