[Xastir] Maps, Defaults, and Chooser

Chip G. n1mie at ct.metrocast.net
Tue Dec 5 10:26:40 EST 2006

I posted a little about the following a few weeks back. Now I have
more information and a request.

I just did a CVS update and rebuild of Xastir. Once again upon
restart I immediately noticed the "worldhi" map overlaying the
Tigermap. When I brought up the "Map Chooser" I didn't see the
worldhi map available to change. After fiddling a bit (rebuilds,
expand dirs, etc) I was able to determine a few things:

1. When the "expand dirs" option is unchecked, the maps in the base
map directory are not visible. This is counter-intuitive and not what
I would expect. The only way to get to those maps in the base map
directory is to "expand dirs." I would prefer to see them there (I
don't normally keep anything there anyway, only the new default map
which insists on reapplying itself there.

2. The default configuration of the worldhi.map is that it is
Automaps=yes and Layer=1000. I am good with the first option but not
the second. The idea behind the default map is to help those who have
no maps (i.e., just starting out), not to hurt those who are just
updating. By selecting a layer of 1000 it is consistently the top-
most map. So I have ugly and inaccurate map lines drawn over my
preferred maps until I take action. On the other hand, if the layer
was defaulted to -999 then newbies would see it and we wouldn't
(unless we wanted to see it).

So I would advocate a few changes:
1. I would like to see the Map Chooser display maps in the map base
directory regardless of the state of the "expand dirs" option.
2. I would like to see the worldhi map have a default layer of "-999".
3. I would like to see the worldhi map in a sub-directory vice the
map base directory. Perhaps a sub-directory called "Default". (This
would make change #1 unnecessary but still desirable.)

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn