[Xastir] Maps, Defaults, and Chooser

Steve Friis wm5z at comcast.net
Wed Dec 6 09:57:38 EST 2006

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Chip G. wrote:
>

>> 2. The default configuration of the worldhi.map is that it is
>> Automaps=yes and Layer=1000. I am good with the first option but not
>> the second. The idea behind the default map is to help those who have
>> no maps (i.e., just starting out), not to hurt those who are just
>> updating. By selecting a layer of 1000 it is consistently the top-
>> most map. So I have ugly and inaccurate map lines drawn over my
>> preferred maps until I take action. On the other hand, if the layer
>> was defaulted to -999 then newbies would see it and we wouldn't
>> (unless we wanted to see it).

For me, 1000 is my bottom most layer. I use layers up to 99999. Weather
is put at 2000, so that state and county boundaries show on top of the
weather data. This allows me to be able to see exactly where the storms
are in relation to other features.

> Once your config problem is sorted out you shouldn't ever have it
> get auto-selected again.  Oh, perhaps you have Auto Maps still
> turned on.  Once map levels got implemented I've never used that
> option.  We should perhaps consider entirely removing it from the
> code.

I use auto maps. I have two main configurations. The first is set up in
Auto maps. The second  configuration I have set  up as selected  maps.
Turning on  auto maps disables the regular selected  maps, so they don't
show up  in the display. I thought this was a great feature.

> Auto Maps should perhaps be turned off by default though (or removed
> from the code).  What do people think?

Turning auto maps on  or off doesn't matter,  just PLEASE don't remove
the feature.

>> So I would advocate a few changes:
>> 1. I would like to see the Map Chooser display maps in the map base
>> directory regardless of the state of the "expand dirs" option.
>>

> I agree with thsi one.
>

>> 2. I would like to see the worldhi map have a default layer of "-999".
>>

> No, that would make them appear BELOW any raster maps, which is not
> what people typically want to have happen.  The map indexer defaults
> to 1000 for any APRSdos or WinAPRS maps and I'd like to keep it
> there.  The user can always change the level after the fact for any
> particular map and the setting will stick.  Unless you decide to
> reindex all maps in which case you get what you asked for!

Steve/WM5Z