[Xastir] [aprssig] TGR2SHP TIGER/Line translator is now Freeware(fwd)

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Wed Dec 13 10:52:47 EST 2006

I personally use these programs and bought his book. It is very educational
and the programs are nice. One of the neat features is the ability to
extract only the poly data you want from the Tiger files and then merge them
in to a larger file such as a state. With this method you could easily
extract say only the railroad polygon layer county by county and then merge
that in to one shapefile for the whole state. You could also do this for
interstates and major roads, this creates a much more efficient file that
the complete set of tiger information. I will also mention that these are
windows programs with a GUI, those of us who don't program or like command
line stuff can easily build good map files using this program. If you really
want to learn about all the free US based public mapping data and how to
work with it get his book. It has great explanations of the ortho imagery
process as well as digital terrain data. It might be more than some want for
APRS but it could help in the quest to generate quality maps for Xastir that
rival the visual quality of the commercial mapping applications.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC
www.wirelessmapping.com <http://www.wirelessmapping.com>