[Xastir] Re: Wind Gusts

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 15 00:34:28 EST 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Rick Green wrote:

> > > If I remember correctly it's a five-minute average, per the spec
> > > we're supposed to work towards.  Perhaps that's changed.
> > >

>   Just reading this on the sidelines, but it sounds like Clay's weatherstation
> is already doing the 'peak over time' gust calculation, so it shouldn't be
> necessary for xastir to do any further processing.  Mebbe the whole gust
> calculation stuff in xastir should be reserved for 'dumb' weather instruments
> that present only instantaneous values.  If the weather station delivers a
> gust value, just pass it on...

Problem is, at least as I recall it, the averaging time for gusts
varies per weather station type/brand.  Unless we calculate it
ourselves from the instantaneous values we'll have no consistency
plus we won't match the spec we're supposed to be doing it to.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer