[Xastir] Re: Wind Gusts

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Fri Dec 15 00:19:40 EST 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Clay Jackson wrote:

> Well, I think I found the issue:
>
> In wx.c, at line 427, in cycle_weather, wx_speed, not wx_gust was getting
> passed to compute_gust.
>
> Here's the diff:
>
> 427c427
> <             computed_gust = compute_gust((float)atof(weather->wx_gust),
> ---
>
>>            computed_gust = compute_gust((float)atof(weather->wx_speed),
>>

> if you look at my data going to findu, it's now reporting much more
> reasonable gust (32MPH so far this evening, the power's out and the storm
> "center" is still several hours away).
>
> Clay
> N7QNM
>

> On Dec 14, 2006, at 12:43 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>>
>> If I remember correctly it's a five-minute average, per the spec
>> we're supposed to work towards.  Perhaps that's changed.

   Just reading this on the sidelines, but it sounds like Clay's
weatherstation is already doing the 'peak over time' gust calculation, so
it shouldn't be necessary for xastir to do any further processing.  Mebbe
the whole gust calculation stuff in xastir should be reserved for 'dumb'
weather instruments that present only instantaneous values.  If the
weather station delivers a gust value, just pass it on...

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin