[Xastir] Re: Wind Gusts

Darryl Gibson n2diy at losch.net
Fri Dec 15 11:44:01 EST 2006

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Clay Jackson wrote:
>
>> if you look at my data going to findu, it's now reporting much more
>> reasonable gust (32MPH so far this evening, the power's out and the
>> storm "center" is still several hours away).
>
> Ok.  Wind speed as transmitted on APRS is supposed to be:
> "sustained one-minute wind speed (in mph)".  Gust is supposed to be:
> "peak wind speed in the last 5 minutes".  Page 64 of the APRS spec.
> I saw nothing in the addendums to change these.
>
> Now... Some weather stations don't give us any gust or peak value,
> others give it or the wind speed to us with a different time period.
>
> What would be the correct thing to do?

You have different start up files for various TNCs, couldn't you do the
same thing for WX stations?

--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
RLU X 182668/379552

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the
distinction of a free man from a slave.”   --  Andrew Fletcher, A
Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)