[Xastir] Re: Wind Gusts

Clay Jackson clayj at nwlink.com
Fri Dec 15 18:55:01 EST 2006

Here's a link to the Federal Meteorological Handbook; and the
specific sections about WInd Speed and Wind Gust...

http://www.ofcm.noaa.gov/fmh-1/

5.4.3 Wind Speed. The wind speed shall be determined by averaging the
speed over a 2-minute period.
At designated stations, Table 5-1 shall be used to estimate wind
speeds when instruments are out of service
or the wind speed is below the starting speed of the anemometer in use.
5.4.4 Wind Gust. The wind speed data for the most recent 10 minutes
shall be examined to evaluate the
occurrence of gusts. Gusts are indicated by rapid fluctuations in
wind speed with a variation of 10 knots
or more between peaks and lulls. The speed of a gust shall be the
maximum instantaneous wind speed.

Clay
N7QNM