[Xastir] Re: Wind Gusts

Clay Jackson clayj at nwlink.com
Fri Dec 15 18:48:49 EST 2006

I started to compose this at 0930 this morning; just before our
landline phone, DSL and internet all collapsed - as they say, "when
all else fails,  Amateur Radio".

In any case, the problem with using single measurements is that some
stations (like the Davis) give you just that when you poll them - an
"instant" reading.  So, if you poll every minute and there's a gust
in between polls, you lose.  Now, the Davis DOES keep two "high
speed" measurements, one that's "highest speed since last poll" and
the other that's "highest speed since last reset".   Meteo grabs the
"highest speed since last poll" every time around its loop, which is
about a minute, and puts that into a "gust" value.   On the speed
side, the wind speed is the speed at the instant the reading (poll)
is taken, so you can't take that for a high speed calc at all.

So, what I did yesterday afternoon was hack db2APRS to select the
highest gust in the last 10 minutes from the database, and to average
the wind speed and direction over the last 2 minutes , and that's
what it's reporting to Xastir.

Interesting dilemma....

Clay