[Xastir] mac osx 10.4.8 Xastir 1.8.5 working here, mostly.

N1OFZ n1ofz at arrl.net
Sat Dec 16 21:41:51 EST 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Curt Mills wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Dan Brown wrote:
>
>> Install Darwinports
>> sudo port install GraphicsMagick
>> sudo port install db45
>
> Are GM and libDB are Darwinports versions, so they are in
> "/opt/local/"  ??

They should be.  All port packages should be installed in /opt/
local.  But whoever built the port for bdb decided that rather than
install in /opt/local/lib they install them in /opt/local/lib/db4x.
When I installed bdb I just went into the db42 (in my case) directory
and did "mv * ../".  Also did that in /opt/local/include/db42.  I've
never had a problem and everything I have ever built that looks for
bdb finds it with no problem.  Though if there is some reason the
files should not be moved you could just symlink them up one level.

>> edit xastir aclocal.m4 to add 45 versions for libdb (ick, who thought
>> libdb was a good idea?)
>
> What was the change required?  Any way to make it be generic so one
> wouldn't have to edit?

That's a good question, I did not have that problem.  That being said
I've never had to edit aclocal or anything else.  Without moving the
files as outlined above I've always been able make it find bdb using
--with-bdb-libdir and --with-bdb-incdir.

>> re-ran bootstrap.sh
>>
>> ./configure  --with-bdb-libdir=/opt/local/lib/db45 \
>>              --with-bdb-incdir=/opt/local/include/db45
>> sudo port install wget
>>
>> (need to fix get-maptools.sh to check for existance of wget)
>
> Or use curl perhaps.  Or use either if installed.

Curl is in /usr/bin.

>> Fixed tar definition in get-maptools.sh /usr/bin/tar
>
> 'splain.  Wrong path?

Why go through the headaches of building via maptools?  Just install
proj, gdal and libgeotiff from Darwinports (or Macports as it's now
called) and use the internal shapelib.  I also don't understand the
path problem as tar is located in /usr/bin.

> I prefer OpenMotif, but I've heard of similar problems on either,
> perhaps version dependent.

I also prefer OpenMotif and it installs with no problem with
Darwinports.  As I outlined earlier today everything built on my
MacBook Pro without a hiccup.

Dana
N1OFZ