[Xastir] cygwin compile problem

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 18 10:50:32 EST 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> Have a block early on that adds those non-standard locations to LDFLAGS
> and CPPFLAGS, e.g. (fudging on syntax here):
>
> switch ($target)
>

>  *darwin*)
>     LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib $LDFLAGS"
>     CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/include $CPPFLAGS"
>
> ... etc.
>
> AC_CHECK_HEADERS and AC_CHECK_LIB use LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS in the compile
> and link lines they create, and setting them at the beginning like this takes
> care of all the idiosyncrasies once and for all.  We do stuff like this in
> the configure script of our project at work.  It makes for a fairly ugly
> block of system-dependent crud at the top of the configure.ac file, but really
> saves you a ton of system-dependent crud scattered all over the configure.ac
> file.
>
> Autotools are good for picking up most system details like "does the compiler
> support left-handed ternary operators on user-defined bogons?" but are not
> meant for searching the entire system for matching libraries --- which leads
> to a real pain when systems come up with their own arbitrary choices for
> where to put things (/opt, /sw/, /whatevertheheck/).  Fortunately, the
> macros make consistent use of things like LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS, so there's
> a clean way to force it for specific systems.

Since we only use the "darwin" flag in two places, and since things
like /sw, /opt, and /opt/local wouldn't normally hurt to search on
non-OSX systems, how about adding those search paths at the
beginning of configure.ac and/or acinclude.m4 in all cases?  I don't
see a reason to make it system-specific in this case.