[Xastir] cygwin compile problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Dec 18 11:11:54 EST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 07:50:32AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> Since we only use the "darwin" flag in two places, and since things
> like /sw, /opt, and /opt/local wouldn't normally hurt to search on
> non-OSX systems, how about adding those search paths at the
> beginning of configure.ac and/or acinclude.m4 in all cases?  I don't
> see a reason to make it system-specific in this case.

What with systems like LSB stuffing things in /opt that we might not actually
want to find, I think it's not an optimum idea.

I really think it's best to add non-standard search paths only when it is known
that they're needed, and leave them out on systems that have standard libraries
in the standard paths that configure assumes.  Trying to do otherwise is the
path to madness.  Let's keep special cases as special cases, where their
specialness can be isolated and not turned into globalness.

Adding a special-casing block at the top is almost as easy as adding the
thing you suggest, and establishes a pattern for fleshing out with other
special cases as needed (when, say, darfink comes out and starts dumping
libraries in /optsw/ or whatever).