[Xastir] mac osx 10.4.8 Xastir 1.8.5 working here, mostly.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 20 20:39:46 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 05:30:00PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Dan Brown wrote:
>
> >  for dbname in db-4.4 db4.4 db44 db-4.3 db4.3 db43 db-4.2 db4.2 db42 db-4.1 db4.1 db41 db-4.0 db4.0 db-4 db40 db4 db
> >
> > which quite clearly has hardcoded version numbers in it. Losing battle.
> > Need to rewrite it so it doesn't need berkeley, at some point.
>
> I added more of these directories, all the way up to db-5.0.

That was probably not the best plan.  The code in xastir depends
pretty clearly on using DB 4.x --- there are ifdefs that will
fail to work properly if 5.x is installed.  It could even be
the case that some future version of BDB might be incompatible
with the code in xastir.  For example, there are already
ifdefs in place to handle the special case of DB 4.0 and 4.1, which
apparently have an API that is subtly different enough from 4.x x>1
to require different hacks.  We should only probe for versions that
are known to exist, and that are known to work.

I think Dan's right.  Dependence on BDB is probably a bad thing,
given how much trouble it is just to figure out what version's
around and how to hack around it.  Just as it is desirable to
pitch ImageMagick in favor of something with a stable API.

Cue Gerry: Line: "PostGIS!"