[Xastir] mac osx 10.4.8 Xastir 1.8.5 working here, mostly.

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 20 21:55:20 EST 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> That was probably not the best plan.  The code in xastir depends
> pretty clearly on using DB 4.x --- there are ifdefs that will
> fail to work properly if 5.x is installed.  It could even be
> the case that some future version of BDB might be incompatible
> with the code in xastir.  For example, there are already
> ifdefs in place to handle the special case of DB 4.0 and 4.1, which
> apparently have an API that is subtly different enough from 4.x x>1
> to require different hacks.  We should only probe for versions that
> are known to exist, and that are known to work.

I'll give on the 5.x stuff.  You're right.

As far as the 4.6 and later versions, I'm torn between adding them
in as new versions come out, or add them all now and tweak code
later if things don't work.  I think I'd rather leave them in and
fix up configure.ac/acinclude.m4 to do a proper search for them so
the special config paths aren't required in most cases.

> I think Dan's right.  Dependence on BDB is probably a bad thing,
> given how much trouble it is just to figure out what version's
> around and how to hack around it.

Yea, I'd go for that.  I've sure learned a lot about libdb though!

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer