[Xastir] Bitmap not found? /usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Dec 21 13:33:03 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 05:14:49PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <on4hso at amsat.org> flavor, containing:
> Tom Russo wrote:
> > config file is still telling it to look in /usr/share instead of
> > /usr/local/share (the error message above references /usr/share).
> > Check your .xastir/config/xastir.cnf file, especially the
> > SYMBOLS_DIR setting.
> >

> I am nearly there !
> Xastir will start now.
>
> I moved all the maps from /usr/share/xastir/maps to
> /usr/local/share/xastir/maps
>
> But there is still a small problem.
> There still seems to be a *reference somewhere to /usr/share/xastir/maps.*
> I can't find it in .xastir/config/xastir.cnf (every instance of
> /usr/share/ was changed to /usr/local/share/
>
> error message in the CLI screen is:
> 2 File /usr/share/xastir/maps/bignl.gif could not be read
>
> (when I copy all the files from /usr/local/share/xastir/maps back to
> /usr/share/xastir/maps then it works again.)

Sounds like you're still running the binary from the Adept install, which
would be in /usr/bin rather than in /usr/local/bin, and which would still be
looking for things in /usr/share.  Please try this in a terminal window:

 type -a xastir

If the only thing that shows up is /usr/local/bin/xastir there's another
problem, but if you find both /usr/bin/xastir and /usr/local/bin/xatstir (or
even just /usr/bin/xastir) your deinstallation of the older version didn't
take.

You might still need to do something to complete the deinstallation of the
package-installed version.  If Adept won't do it for you, it might work by
doing
  apt-get remove xastir