[Xastir] Inquiry on "main.c"

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 29 19:09:46 EST 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Chip G. wrote:

> I see a number of options which can be configured by un-commenting
> some lines and recompiling. Is there a reason why these are not available as
> options via the Configure menu? I suppose some might be easier to code based
> on changing only at compile-time, but some might be useful to be altered on
> the fly.

A few reasons:  Many are not of general interest, plus changing the
GUI is a big pain, particularly without cranking up the size of the
current dialogs or adding new dialogs (another royal pain).

> I had also once looked at modifying the WMSRadar.geo file to match what we are
> actually seeing (TRANSPARENT 0x000000) and commit it to the CVS repository,
> but I couldn't get it to work. Can that be done from the anonymous setup that
> I've been using, or do I have to register and get a username/password?

You cannot.  We're happy to accept patches from others and
incorporate them into the code if we feel they are generally useful.
It usually takes several such submissions and then application to
Chuck Byam or myself before you might obtain developer status.

The project started with one developer (Frank Giananndrea) and is up
to 15 now.  We're not an old-boys club or anything.  Restricting the
developer list to those that Chuck approves is one way to help
assure the quality of the code-base.  If one shows a genuine
interest and ability over time, plus is fairly common-sense about
their approach towards things, they may eventually gain developer
status.

You can view the list of developers & project admins on this page:

    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/xastir>

If you are interested in becoming a developer, I encourage you to
get in there and play with the code as you are doing now, fix bugs
on the bug-list or add enhancements listed on the RFE page.  Send
patches to one of the developers and get involved on the Xastir
and/or Xastir-dev lists.  We'll get to know you that way.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer