[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.10 Bootstrap error

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Wed Nov 1 12:10:01 EST 2006

HI Tom,
On 1 Nov 2006, at 16:35, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 04:24:09PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-
> computron collision of the <jronan at tssg.org> flavor, containing:
>> 0n at lab-laptop:~/sources/xastir$ aclocal --version
>> aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4-p6
>
> That's really old, indicating a very outdated automake package.

Balls...
>> j0n at lab-laptop:~/sources/xastir$ automake --version
>> automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6
>
> Yep.
>
> Per README.CVS, you  need at least automake version 1.6.3 and
> autoconf 2.53
> to build CVS xastir.  You've got a recent autoconf, but a woefully
> out of
> date automake (the automake I use for xastir is 1.9.6).

I figured that it was so 'new' that it wouldnt' be using out of date
packages... thats a pain in the ass.

> The best bet for doing this without mucking with your system's
> autotools is
> to download automake and autoconf sources (www.gnu.org will get you
> started),
> then configure them with "--prefix" options so they go to some
> nonstandard place (say, ~/src/xastir/bin -- this is what I've done
> on some
> particularly rude systems),  then build and install them there.
> It's the
> work of a few seconds, as these tools are small.  Once you've got
> that done,
> just put that nonstandard place earlier in your path than the system's
> autoconf/automake location, and you should be good to go.

This machine is being used solely with xastir... so I think I'll
remove automake and install it from source. I'm hoping to use it to
build a ubuntu xastir livecd (we should probably discuss a common set
of features on the list).... its not starting out well :)

Thanks
John

--
John Ronan <jronan at tssg.org>, +353-51-302938