[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.10 Bootstrap error

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 1 13:56:00 EST 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, John Ronan wrote:

> That then begs the question,
>
> Would it be better to install the -dev packages and work from there..
> or go completely from source (and use the script)?
>
> Suggestions?

I'm not a "normal" user by any means (keep quiet if you all of a
sudden thought of other realms where this is true...), but I of
_course_ have an opinion:

What I tend to do is use whatever packages are available for the
system if they will work for me, else I deinstall those that don't
and install from sources.  If I find a 3rd-party compiled package
that will work, I usually prefer that to installing from sources.

That's for the libraries of course.  I personally _always_ install
Xastir from sources, but I don't expect the average user to do this.

You should look at maintainability over releases as well.  If
packages would work better and the people maintaining them are
pretty good about it, use the packages.  If the packages are
sometimes flaky or sometimes late at getting built, use the sources.