[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.10 Bootstrap error

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Wed Nov 1 17:28:10 EST 2006

>> Suggestions?
>
> I'm not a "normal" user by any means (keep quiet if you all of a
> sudden thought of other realms where this is true...), but I of
> _course_ have an opinion:
>
> What I tend to do is use whatever packages are available for the
> system if they will work for me, else I deinstall those that don't
> and install from sources.  If I find a 3rd-party compiled package
> that will work, I usually prefer that to installing from sources.
>
> That's for the libraries of course.  I personally _always_ install
> Xastir from sources, but I don't expect the average user to do this.
>
> You should look at maintainability over releases as well.  If
> packages would work better and the people maintaining them are
> pretty good about it, use the packages.  If the packages are
> sometimes flaky or sometimes late at getting built, use the sources.

I generally go the same way...

Now.. to make things easy for myself I edited
get-maptools.sh

ALL="   http://dl.maptools.org/dl/shapelib/shapelib-1.2.10.tar.gz\
         http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gdal/gdal-1.3.1.tar.gz\
         http://dl.maptools.org/dl/geotiff/libgeotiff/
libgeotiff-1.2.3.tar.gz"

as pcre and proj are installed (and being recognised by xastir's ./
configure)

shapelib was fine.

First problem, gdal wouldn't compile

g++ -Wall -O2 -I../../port -I../../gcore -I../../alg -I../../ogr -
I../../ogr/ogrsf_frmts -I../../port -c fitdataset.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -
o ../o/.libs/fitdataset.o
fitdataset.cpp:177: error: extra qualification 'FITRasterBand::' on
member 'FITRasterBand'
fitdataset.cpp: In static member function 'static GDALDataset*
FITDataset::Open(GDALOpenInfo*)':
fitdataset.cpp:1019: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
break strict-aliasing rules
make[2]: *** [../o/fitdataset.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/j0n/sources/xastir/tmp/gdal-1.3.1/
frmts/fit'
make[1]: *** [fit-install-obj] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/j0n/sources/xastir/tmp/gdal-1.3.1/
frmts'
make: *** [frmts-target] Error 2

So, I downloaded 1.3.2 by hand and tried it instead, that worked

however trying to compile geotiff I get this

gcc -O2  -Wall makegeo.o -L/usr/local/lib -L.. -lgeotiff -lproj -
ltiff -ljpeg -lz  -lm  -o makegeo
/usr/bin/ld: makegeo: hidden symbol `__stack_chk_fail_local' in /usr/
lib/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS) is referenced by DSO
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [makegeo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/j0n/sources/xastir/tmp/
libgeotiff-1.2.3/bin'
make: *** [Progs] Error 2

from
http://nsnam.isi.edu/nsnam/index.php?title=Troubleshooting&printable=yes

it seems to be a compiler issue.

So I installed gcc-4.0 and edited the makefile to use gcc-4.0, but
its still give the same problem, I'll try dropping back another
version tomorrow.

Thats me done for tonight.

Regards
de John