[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.06 Boostrap

Darryl Gibson n2diy at losch.net
Fri Nov 3 07:49:11 EST 2006

Jeremy Utley wrote:
> On 11/1/06, Darryl Gibson <n2diy at losch.net> wrote:
Hi Gang,

Making progress, but tripping up with my messages. Someday I'll get used
to the Xastir email reply protocol, and quit responding to senders, when
I intend to reply to the list.

Anyway:

>> ./bootstrap.sh: line 26: automake: command not found
>>      1) Checking for 'mkinstalldirs'... Not Found
>>         Attempting to copy it from system directories'
>> ***ERROR: Couldn't copy the file***
>> Bootstrap complete.
>> darryl at Chatto:~/xastir$
>

> Was this a bare install of Ubuntu, without anything added?

For the most part yes, other than Firefox, and Thunderbird, this is my
virgin box.

> It looks
> like you're nowhere near close to having a proper build environment -
> remember that Ubuntu is a desktop distribution, and does not install
> software development tools by default.  A good start would be to do a
> sudo apt-get install build-essential - that will pull in all the base
> tools you'll need to be able to compile things.

Roger that, I did some Googling, and found this:

 > http://info.aprs.net/wikka.php?wakka=GaleWilkinson

I followed those instructions, which resulted in Synaptic downloading 30
packages, it was an 11mb download, and used 33mb of disk space.

I documented most of the packages that were downloaded, except for what
might have come with cvs, and gcc, which I already had on board.

The compile and install seemed to go ok, but here is what I see when I
try and run Xastir:

darryl at Chatto:~$ xastir
Found pid file: /home/darryl/.xastir/xastir.pid
Other Xastir process, pid: 18209 does not appear be running.

Built-in map types:
       gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
        map   APRSdos Maps
        map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
        pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
        geo   Image Map (ImageMagick library, many formats allowed)
        geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
        shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
xastir.cnf: MY_TRAIL_DIFF_COLOR not found, inserting default: 0
xastir.cnf: MAPS_LABELED_GRID_BORDER not found, inserting default: 0
xastir.cnf: LOG_MESSAGE not found, inserting default: 0
xastir.cnf: LOG_WX_ALERT not found, inserting default: 0
xastir.cnf: SNAPSHOT_INTERVAL not found, inserting default: 5
festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found?
/usr/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
darryl at Chatto:~$

The 2x2.xbm file isn't where Xastir is looking for it:

darryl at Chatto:~$ locate 2x2.xbm
/home/darryl/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
/usr/local/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm
darryl at Chatto:~$

I created the directory and file Xastir is looking for, with the
intention of linking it to one of the existing files, but I wasn't sure
which file to link to, so I aborted that idea.

Ideas?

--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
RLU X 182668/379552

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the
distinction of a free man from a slave.”   --  Andrew Fletcher, A
Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)