[Xastir] Xastir Help (First Time User)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Nov 4 23:20:06 EST 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 09:03:42PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kf4otn at ericsatcom.net> flavor, containing:

> Okay, so I've been wanting to use Xastir over the past few years but
> never brought myself to actually downloading the software and getting it
> to run.  Now that I have some time I thought I would give it a shot.
>
> So, I'm running a Windoze box (laptop) for my primary computer but will
> also be setting up a CentOS box in the shack that will be dedicated to
> APRS so that install will be a bit different (probably easier).
>
> I completed the Cygwin install along with the stable Xastir package but
> am a little confused on where to go from there.  I thought that I might
> find an icon in my start menu that would run the software for me but
> didn't find one.  I then went back to the website to read the
> "README.win32" file but I get a notice saying the link is broken.  So
> I'm kinda stuck here.  Can anyone help me out with where I need to go
> from here?  Maybe someone can fix the link and/or send me the README
> file, please?

The easiest way to get at the most current README.win32 would be through the
sourceforge "Browse CVS" option.

Unfortunately, the link on the top level Xastir page doesn't link to the
top-level Sourceforge page anymore, it only takes you to a lower level where
the tarballs live.  What you want to do is go to:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xastir/

then click "Browse CVS" (about 75% of the way down the left side of the page).
Once there, click "xastir" and then the number to the right of README.win32.

A somewhat easier --  but less well-formatted -- option  is on the
Wiki.  From www.xastir.org, click on "XASTIR Documentation", then click on
"HowTo's" and then "HowTo:Windows".  This is mostly a copy of README.win32, but
has some formatting issues, and since it isn't tied directly to the copy of
README.win32 in the CVS repository, it could become out of date (it's up-to-date
right now).

Chuck: I think it might be a good idea to restore a link to the top-level
Sourceforge project page to the top-level www.xastir.org page the way there
used to be.  At the moment, there's nothing on the Xastir home page that
brings a visitor to the project's Sourceforge site.  There *is* a link on the
"Web Resources" page to the "freshmeat" site, but that seems very outdated and
contains some links deep into the sourceforge site, and nothing to the top
level of sourceforge either.