[Xastir] Cygwin problems

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Mon Nov 6 11:09:28 EST 2006

I'm a big fan of Xastir, but I have to say I was disappointed with the Win32
install.  All of the links to the README.win32 that I could find are broken
(pointing to the old Sourceforge CVS server), and even when I found the Wiki
there was no mention made of a known problem that keeps the latest Cygwin
from working.  And of course, the latest binary is way out of date.

Would it really be that difficult for someone with the build environment
already set up to just rebuild the executable every time a stable release
comes out?  For that matter, you ought to be able to set up a cron job to
get the latest code from CVS every night and have a development build posted
automatically.  For a lot of Windows users (those who aren't software
developers or sysadmins) who just want to use the program, getting through
the Cygwin install is trying enough.  Seems like it'd be *less* trouble to
make sure they've got a current binary available than to try to support them
all in getting it build themselves.

Scott
N1VG