[Xastir] Cygwin problems

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Nov 6 11:37:35 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 08:09:28AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <scott at opentrac.org> flavor, containing:
> I'm a big fan of Xastir, but I have to say I was disappointed with the Win32
> install.  All of the links to the README.win32 that I could find are broken
> (pointing to the old Sourceforge CVS server), and even when I found the Wiki
> there was no mention made of a known problem that keeps the latest Cygwin
> from working.

I have just added to the wiki the same verbiage I just added to README.win32
last night.  That includes links to the work-around for ImageMagick.

I've also added a correct link to the always-current, correct sourceforge
CVS file to the HowTo: Windows page.  That might help.

> And of course, the latest binary is way out of date.
>
> Would it really be that difficult for someone with the build environment
> already set up to just rebuild the executable every time a stable release
> comes out?

Apparently.

AFAIK, the cygwin binary that's out there was the result of one person
volunteering to do just that, and clearly that person either ran out of time
to do it or lost interest, or whatever.  I'm sure nobody would  object if
someone else wanted to take up the flag, but there seems to  be little interest
except from those  who would benefit from the service.

Excepting the ImageMagick issue, the README.win32 instructions for building
xastir are the clearest and most complete  step-by-step instructions we have
for any platform.  We've had more complaints about the clarity of install
instructions for Linux than we ever have for cygwin.