[Xastir] Xastir/Cygwin, a little history

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 6 12:17:47 EST 2006

FWIW here is the sequence of events:

*) Someone posted that they had Xastir running on Windows.
*) I asked for details, then spent some time trying hundreds of
   installs until I it documented in excruciating detail.
*) README.win32 was added to the distribution.
*) Several people have contributed changes to the README.win32 since
   then but no major overhauls of the text have occurred.
*) Two people independently created Xastir/Cygwin binary installs:
   One provides CD's to his customers that way, another did the
   Lintronix install that we all know and love.

Nobody has yet stepped forward who regularly uses Xastir/Cygwin (of
which there are quite a few) and offered to keep the Wiki, the
README.win32, or the binary install up-to-date.

I've mostly automated the release scripts for development and stable
releases (source code) and a script which creates RPM's for SuSE.

There's no reason that automation of some of the other source or
binary packages cannot be done, other than a person's time to do so,
and availability of the OS to do it on.  This certainly goes for the
Cygwin binary distribution also.

If any of you have a particular flavor of OS that you use and love,
consider supporting it by building stable or dev packages of Xastir
for it, or updating the Wiki to make it easier for everyone else to
get it running.

Changes to the sources and/or docs other than the Wiki can be sent
directly to me or one of the other developers.  Bug reports and
Feature Requests can be submitted to the proper tracker pages on
SourceForge.