[Xastir] Cygwin problems

David Flood davidf4 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 7 21:47:17 EST 2006

Jason Winningham wrote:
> On the subject of a precompiled xastir-cygwin binary, is there such a
> thing as a static executable for cygwin?  I'm still thinking that would
> be the easiest way to distribute binaries on any platform, if it could
> be accomplished.

Unfortunately, due to their licensing terms, you can't just distribute
the glue parts of Cygwin.  So it is impossible to make an EXE file and
related DLL's and have them just work.

As an alternative to Cygwin, I've been playing with real systems under
the VMWare player but have yet to find a distribution of Linux or BSD
that is "lite" enough to have a small footprint but will still compile
Xastir and related sub-programs.  So I guess that trying to work around
the bugs in Cygwin is the only realistic option right now.

Dave
KD7MYC