[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Wed Nov 8 17:30:44 EST 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Amateur Radio WB8NUT wrote:

> Eric,
>
> You are correct. However, I was trying to get people up on VMware Player
> which is a tad bit easier than VMware Server which I have also used.
> Another limiting factor with VMware Server, is that IF you have multiple
> virtual appliances running, you better have some decent memory like 1GB
> and above.

VMware really doesn't like trying to run more guest memory than you have
physical memory in your host machine.  Tuning the amount of memory to "just
enough what you need" inside the guest helps, especially if you have
multiple guests (parasites?) on the same host.

The only issue I've seen -- and I need to upgrade my software and such, is
that the clock inside the guest os can drift from reality.  AND, worse,
that attempting to use ntpd can make things drift even more!  A drifting
clock makes make (which is used in compiling Xastir) behave badly.  Xastir
itself too.  This may be fixed in later versions of VMware, I was using the
4.5.2 "Workstation" version at the time I saw these issues.

73,
N8YSZ.
--
Dan Brown