[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 10 09:25:50 EST 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Steve Friis wrote:

> > On 11/9/06, Steve Friis <wm5z at comcast.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Check out the one listed on the old web page called "Worldhi.map". It
> >> loads very fast, and even has some color in the lines. I think it is in
> >> public domain, but I could be wrong. Would certainly provide proof that
> >> the program is working.

> The map I suggested (see above) loads with the stock libraries, is nice
> looking for a first map, is relatively small, loads quick, and is
> generic. That is to say, is not partial to any city, state, county or
> continent, plus was free when I found it.

"Free" doesn't necessarily mean that we can include it with our
sources or binaries.  If it is under a public domain or GPL license,
then we can include it without asking.  If it's anything else, we
need to track down the original creator of the map, or creators if
it has been worked on by several, and get their permission.

I personally favor the PocketAPRS world map as it is relatively
small but nice-looking and has some good detail.  I didn't put the
effort in to track down the originator.  I have it in
maps/henk/world.zip, it has these files in it:

> unzip -l world.zip
Archive:  world.zip
  Length     Date   Time    Name
 --------    ----   ----    ----
    51600  12-27-01 11:39   world.pdb
      202  12-27-01 13:34   Readme.txt
 --------                   -------
    51802                   2 files

So... It's a fairly small map.  PocketAPRS maps were known for their
small sizes.  It's a very compact map format.  More than likely it
was created from something like the Worldhi.map file originally.
The readme says:

  "This file is designed for use with pocketAPRS, the map is
   generated by PE1DNN.  The map also works on APRS/CE and Xastir.
   This map is free of charge, enjoy!

   Henk de Groot - PE1DNN - pe1dnn at ampr.org"

So I'm sending this to Henk as well to see where the data originally
came from, therefore whether we can include it in Xastir.  It looks
like there's no problem as long as the map data it was derived from
has ok permissions.