[Xastir] VMWare Player license

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 10 11:53:44 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> I thought per the license that vmware player could be freely distrubuted?
> Only reason I ask, is that I use a script called Automatix that was built
> fro Ubuntu to setup commonly used programs, and vmware player is one of
> them. They can't distribute vmware server, but they can distribute vmware
> player, did they get prior permission perhaps? just curious.....
>
> I wouldn't mind taking a crack at building something that could run Xastir,
> I could base it on Ubuntu.

Just read the license, that's all I'm saying.  Make sure you do it
by the book.

If someone were to build one or more VMWare Player versions of
Linux/Xastir, we could publish that far and wide on the APRS lists
and probably get an influx of new users.  The easier we can make it,
the more people will try it.

For what it's worth I'm installing VMWare Player now as an RPM file.
I don't know much about it yet, but I've run a licensed copy of
VMWare Workstation in the past so I expect it to be somewhat
similar.  Hopefully the Windows install of Player is just as easy,
but I'm not going to try it.