[Xastir] Better and/or Easier Way to Get Xastir on Windows

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Nov 12 13:16:20 EST 2006

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 10:58:03AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ve7did at dccnet.com> flavor, containing:
> Just tried cvs update -d update.   I have shapefiles installed (for years).
> Using Slack 9.1
>
> Last cvs update was done Nov 2, 2006
> Nothing has changed! (I don't think)
>
> Following errors  with cvs update -d   OR  cvs update

> va7gq at va7gq:~/xastir$ cvs update -d
> cvs update: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied
> cvs update: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied
> cvs update: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied
> cvs update: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied
> cvs update: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied
> cvs update: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied

Looks like perhaps you have files in your CVS directory that are not owned by
you --- did you maybe run "cvs update" as root by accident?

> cvs update: Updating symbols
> cvs update: cannot remove src/shapelib/contrib/tests: Permission denied
> cvs [update aborted]: cannot open src/shapelib/contrib/CVS: Permission denied
> va7gq at va7gq:~/xastir$
>
> Here is the result of last part of   ./configure
>
> config.status: creating src/rtree/Makefile
> config.status: creating src/shapelib/Makefile
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: src/shapelib/Makefile.in

There is clearly something wrong with your CVS directory, because cvs is
getting permission denied errors when you update.  You need to fix that problem
before you can expect the stuff downstream of it to work properly.

Clearly, the shapelib directory didn't get updated, so when configure tries
to use it there are errors.

Try this from your top-level xastir directory:

 ls -l CVS

If you see any files there that are owned by root (or by any user other than
va7gq), then you need to "chmod" them.  Assuming your other files are all
owned by va7gq and that your va7gq user is in the va7gq group, you'd do that
this way:

 sudo  chown -R va7gq:va7gq .

from the top level of the xastir directory.  This sets all files in the entire
directory tree to be owned by user va7gq (the thing before the colon) and group
va7gq (the thing after the colon).  You have to do this as root (or with sudo)
otherwise you'll get permission denied errors when you try to change ownership
of files from root to yourself.