[Xastir] Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Nov 14 04:19:39 EST 2006

I have just finished the first two builds of xastir on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy).
While I do plan to put this on the wiki, I figured I'd drop it here while
waiting for GDAL to download and build.

I had been handed a laptop that had Ubuntu 5.10 installed on it.  The person
who installed it had just installed the base system and then never even
used it after that.  I upgraded it to 6.06 and then to 6.10, installing no
optional packages in the process.  My assumption, then, is that at the
beginning of this process I had a basic, clean install of 6.10 to work with.

I started with the instructions that were posted here recently, but had
to modify them, merging some of the more detailed instructions that are
on the wiki for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper).

0) uncomment the two lines in /etc/apt/sources.conf that enable the "universe"
   repository.  I found that apt-get would not actually look in this
   repository unless I first ran the synaptics package manager and clicked
   "reload."  Without that step, apt-get simply complained about a missing
   list file in /var/lib/apt/lists --- that list file was created by
   the package manager, though, so after the one reload (which took quite
   a long time on dial-up), all the following apt-gets worked flawlessly.

1) sudo apt-get install build-essential
   This pulls in compilers and libraries necessary to build just about
   anything

---) At this point, it was said on this list that one could do
   "apt-get build-dep xastir",
   but that doesn't work, at least not on Edgy.  It was reported to me that
   one of the packages that was requested had libgdal1-dev as a dependency,
   but libgdal1-dev was obsolete and it went no further.  I had to do the
   follow-up installs separately instead.

2) Get the libraries essential for building xastir:
   sudo apt-get install cvs autoconf automake1.9 xorg-dev lesstif2-dev

   While I was at it, I got python-dev, too, even though that's not used for
   xastir.  These are all listed in the 6.06 LTS instructions on the wiki,
   but you'll notice my list is a little smaller, because stuff like ssh was
   already installed int he base system.

3) Get some additional libraries that will be useful later:
   sudo apt-get install gpsman gpsmanshp proj libmagick9-dev libdb4.4-dev

   The result of installing these step 3 libraries will be an xastir with
   slightly more than the minimum set of features.  For an absolute minimum,
   one could skip this step.

   I also skipped installing libax25-dev here because I do not plan to use
   kernel ax25 networking just yet.

   Don't install gdal at this point.  We'll do that from sources later.

4) Get xastir sources per README.CVS:
   mkdir src
   mkdir src/XASTIR
   cd src/XASTIR
   cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir login
   cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir co xastir

4a) bootstrap, to create all the Makefile.in's  and the configure script
   cd xastir
   ./bootstrap.sh
   cd ..

5) Make a build directory, and configure xastir in it:
   mkdir build-simple
   cd build-simple
   ../xastir/configure --with-rtree
   make && sudo make install

   This got  me xastir with gpsman/gpsmanshp, imagemagick, shapefile, and
   map caching support, with rtree shapefile acceleration.  Had I skipped step
   three, I'd have only shapefile
   support.

   When I ran this,  Xastir started with the very nice new world map that the
   Sprouls have so kindly let us include.

6) Copy the "get-maptools.sh" script to somewhere private:
   cd
   cp src/XASTIR/xastir/scripts/get-maptools.sh .

6a) Edit get-maptools.sh to change the definition of XASDIR to point to my
    working directory:

      XASDIR=$HOME/src/XASTIR

    also edit the ALL line to exclude proj (because we installed it from a
    package) and change the version of gdal we build (because 1.3.1 won't build
    with gcc 4.x due to C++ syntax issues):

    ALL="   http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pcre/pcre-6.3.tar.gz
        http://dl.maptools.org/dl/shapelib/shapelib-1.2.10.tar.gz\
        http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gdal/gdal-1.3.2.tar.gz\
        http://dl.maptools.org/dl/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.2.3.tar.gz"

   (this differs from the original only by the absence of a line for proj, and
   a change of gdal version from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2)

6b) Make the $XASDIR/tmp directory --- get-maptools.sh won't do it, and
    will fail if it doesn't exist:
      mkdir ~/src/XASTIR/tmp

    run get-maptools
      ./get-maptools.sh

6c) This is just for informational purposes, you can skip this step: as soon
    as pcre and shapelib got installed, and while the very large gdal download
    was plodding along on my very slow 56K dial-up connection, I attempted a
    second build of xastir:

    cd ~/src/XASTIR
    mkdir build-withshape
    cd build-withshape
    ../xastir/configure --with-rtree
    make && make install

    This built me a new copy of xastir, this time with dbfawk support, and
    with shapelib linked from the shared library.  I did this in a separate
    directory so that my original build was untouched while I tried this one.

6d)  This would be the step where I say "then gdal and geotiff finished
     building and I tried again" --- but gdal did not in fact finish building,
     getting a compilation error.  I'll have to try gdal CVS instead.  And
     it's two in the morning, so I'm not doing that now.

I'll post all this on the wiki when I've got the rest done tomorrow night.

In all this was an extraordinarily painless operation, despite the fact that
I've never touched Ubuntu before today, and have never built xastir on any
linux platform at all (having only done FreeBSD and cygwin).

I think it is probably a mistake to try to install the xastir binary that is
apparently available through apt-get, since it would install to /usr instead
of /usr/local, and updating to CVS (or any source-built version) would require
moving the stuff from /usr/share/xastir to /usr/local/share/xastir and
fiddling with your xastir.cnf file.

Following the procedure above gives you a fully functional xastir at step 5
--- and if you're not saddled with dial-up internet, that should only be a few
minutes into the process.  With dial-up it was actually a couple of hours, most
of which was waiting for the first few apt-gets, which would also have been
necessary if you just downloaded the binary and its dependencies.