[Xastir] Re: Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Nov 14 09:46:39 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:19:39AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> I have just finished the first two builds of xastir on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy).
> While I do plan to put this on the wiki, I figured I'd drop it here while
> waiting for GDAL to download and build.

[...]
> 6d)  This would be the step where I say "then gdal and geotiff finished
>      building and I tried again" --- but gdal did not in fact finish building,
>      getting a compilation error.  I'll have to try gdal CVS instead.  And
>      it's two in the morning, so I'm not doing that now.

Turns out that my gdal compilation error wasn't a compilation error.  The
laptop battery was low, and for whatever reason make crashed during the
low battery warning.  When I attempted to reproduce the error it went away,
and gdal 1.3.2 compiled and installed fine.

libgeotiff also compiled fine out of the box.

HOWEVER: get-maptools.sh installs geotiff and gdal in the wrong order ---
libgeotiff should get installed first, so that gdal uses the external geotiff
instead of its internal one (which *could* cause problems, but doesn't usually).

So: in step 6a, you should not only change the version of gdal, you should
invert the order of geotiff and gdal so geotiff is first.

Other than that, at step 6d, when get-maptools.sh finishes, a reconfigure
and remake of xastir gets you the fully functional code.  Note that Ubuntu's
base install installs festival, so the only feature that is not enabled in
my list of steps is AX25, and that's only because I deliberately left out
libax25-dev in step 3.

I'll reformat this to leave out the work-in-progress bits and put it on the wiki
later today.