[Xastir] Re: Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Nov 14 10:28:28 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 07:09:28AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > I'll reformat this to leave out the work-in-progress bits and put it on the wiki
> > later today.
>
> VERY cool!

Yes, I thought it was pretty cool how easy it was to get it all together,
although it wasn't quite as easy to set up as BSD is (where:
   cd /usr/ports/comms/xastir
   make install clean
downloads and builds all dependencies from source, without the issue of
multiple "-dev" packages to worry about).  Still, from installation of the OS
to fully functional Xastir was the work of minutes --- if you ignore the hours
of waiting for stuff to download over a phone line, that is, but that's stuff
I'd have had to wait for anyway.  I didn't have to pull out one hair, except
for the bit about having to run the package manager to get the source lists
updated, which I am sure is only due to my missing some obscure apt-get option.

> So...  Next step:  Anyone working on a VMWare install of this or
> similar?

I won't be --- sorry.

> It might increase our userbase several-fold if Windows users had
> another Xastir option besides Cygwin, plus would make it more
> dependable/supportable.  We might even get some Linux converts out
> of it over time!

Unfortunately, all the laptops that I would have access to have a bit too
small a hard drive to make the full-system-in-virtual-machine option
problematic: a lot of map data would be squeezed out if I tried to have
vmware and a whole linux system available on the drive.  But if someone
comes up with a VMWare-player option that I could throw on an external USB
drive, I'd try it out on my windows laptop.