[Xastir] Re: Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Nov 14 12:14:40 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 04:53:37PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jronan at tssg.org> flavor, containing:

> On 14 Nov 2006, at 15:09, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Tom Russo wrote:
> >
> >>I'll reformat this to leave out the work-in-progress bits and put
> >>it on the wiki
> >>later today.
> >
> >VERY cool!
> >
> >So...  Next step:  Anyone working on a VMWare install of this or
> >similar?
> >
> How about a Ubuntu LiveCD?  I just tested the one I made last week
> and it was too big.. so I had to dump something else of the CD and re-
> make it, believe it or not, it actually worked :)
>
> I'm uploading the new version at the moment its got about 10 minutes
> or so to go before its there
> http://ireland.aprs2.net/xastir
>
> Bearing in mind I had difficulty before with my first attempt at
> 6.10, in light of Tom's extra work, I'll try making a boot CD again
> tomorrow morning (hell, I' might try it fro home if herself is
> watching TV), build it from Ubuntu 6.10 and CVS.

I would be very interested to see your process for making those live CDs.

I would like to try my hand at it and see if I can make one with a working
Xastir and a fair selection of local maps.  It might be the Just The Ticket for
getting some of my local folks addicted enough to pitch APRS+SA...

Paring it down seems to be the real problem --- there's so much cruft
in the base install that I'd really like to see go away.  Lots of that seem
like it could be useful for a full system, but a targeted live CD can do away
with a lot.