[Xastir] Re: Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 14 12:29:42 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> I would be very interested to see your process for making those live CDs.
>
> I would like to try my hand at it and see if I can make one with a working
> Xastir and a fair selection of local maps.  It might be the Just The Ticket for
> getting some of my local folks addicted enough to pitch APRS+SA...
>
> Paring it down seems to be the real problem --- there's so much cruft
> in the base install that I'd really like to see go away.  Lots of that seem
> like it could be useful for a full system, but a targeted live CD can do away
> with a lot.

I'd certainly be interested in a liveCD sort of thing as a way to
show people and get them interested, perhaps even as an emergency
method of getting on the air.

As far as the VMWare stuff, I'd be more interested in an extremely
stripped-down OS.  This would keep the download small-ish but still
allows the Windows people to have all of the Xastir features.  After
the initial VMWare Player and Xastir/OS install, they could start
adding their own maps to it.