[Xastir] Re: Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Tue Nov 14 14:02:18 EST 2006

Thanks for the 'it worked for me' replies... I wasn't sure it worked
myself until I tried it today :)

> And since I'll be doing an APRS-in-SAR presentation in about a
> month to the
> team that owns this very laptop I'm experimenting with, having a
> live CD
> complete with maps to hand out at the training would be so very cool.
>
> Perhaps you could contact me off-list with a description of how
> you're making
> the CDs?
Its a piece of cake... kinda.

1. Install ubuntu onto any machine

2. Install reconstructor
http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/

3. Download Iso of Live CD

4. Run reconstructor on it

Basically there is  a terminal option whereby you can get a command
line on the ISO image. I used the steps I outlined in the Wiki for
installing xastir on 6.06LTS to build and install xastir from CVS,
removed some crud (openoffice etc) and bobs your auntie.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.  Tomorrow I'll try doing the same
for 6.10 using Tom's additions.  My constraint last friday week was
that I needed geotiff support the following day so it was a bit of a
rush job.

Seeing as you asked so nicely Tom, point me at some maps and I'll see
if I can fit them onto the CD image tomorrow.

I've not tried a USB Stick with the LiveCD yet, so there is a good
chance that it would work with Maps on there.. just you would have to
try indexing them on the running system.

Apologys for the brevity of the email, but I have to go shopping or
I'll starve tomorrow (so my wife tells me)..

Regards
de John
EI7IG

--