[Xastir] Re: Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Tue Nov 14 12:39:47 EST 2006

The challenges with a live CD is that you cannot save your settings.
Every time you start the Live CD, the PC is dedicated to the Live CD and
you have to enter the settings all over again. Live CDs usually don't
work very well with wireless cards either - my experience. Not to
mention it is slow.

The best issue is creating a VMware Appliance for VMware Player. It's
easy to install, and does not require a shutdown of Windows to use it.
If I was technically capable of creating a VMware Appliance, I would do
it - but I am not - at least at this time.

I have now tested the VMware appliance with a laptop with a 1Ghz
processor and 512MBs of memory running Windows XP. The VMware Appliance
was Kubuntu 6.06, that I upgraded to 6.10 and then downloaded Xastir. It
works very well and is easy to set-up. It allows the user to keep
Windows running at the same time Xastir is running. The only thing else
the user needs is AGWPE and that is really easy to install.

The Live CD is a nice way for people to test out Xastir, but it is not a
long term solution for someone who wants to continue to run Xastir.
Second, again I would suggest, since we are trying to target an audience
who is not familiar with linux, it is best to go with Kubunu and not
Ubuntu - they are really the same except for the desktop and Kubuntu
will be more intuitive for the new Linux user.

Just my suggestions.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com