[Xastir] Re: Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Nov 15 01:12:23 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 12:39:47PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <duffy at wb8nut.com> flavor, containing:
> The challenges with a live CD is that you cannot save your settings.
> Every time you start the Live CD, the PC is dedicated to the Live CD and
> you have to enter the settings all over again. Live CDs usually don't
> work very well with wireless cards either - my experience. Not to
> mention it is slow.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how the reconstructed live CDs work, but the
Ubuntu/Kubuntu live CDs are also installation CDs.  John --- can you use the
live CDs you produce to actually install the version of linux you've got on
the CD?

In that case, the CD so produced could be used by interested parties to
get a basic, working linux install with pre-installed Xastir and a set of
maps, once one is convinced of the Superiority of the Product.

Not many folks will wipe their Windows systems to do this, but some might
use it to install onto an old PC or cheap refurbished laptop.

Your vmware approach is certainly a good one, and some windows users might
very well prefer it.  I'm thinking more of converting the heathens, myself,
but I think that multiple approaches (custom live CDs and VMWare appliances)
are all good.

I might toy with the vmware idea on my windows laptop.  Getting the virtual
appliance might be tricky given that I have no access to torrents over
the high-speed connection I have at work (even downloading ISOs is frowned on),
and over a 56K line it's out of the question at home.  It does sound
intriguing, and if I can get a cd of that sort of thing to hand out at the
training in December, I'll do it, too.