[Xastir] Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Chuck Byam kg4ijb at xastir.org
Tue Nov 14 13:44:10 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 02:19 -0700, Tom Russo wrote:
> I have just finished the first two builds of xastir on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy).
> While I do plan to put this on the wiki, I figured I'd drop it here while
> waiting for GDAL to download and build.

There's already at least 2 wiki articles regarding installing on Ubuntu.
Perhaps you could add your thoughts to one of these.

> 0) uncomment the two lines in /etc/apt/sources.conf that enable the "universe"
>    repository.  I found that apt-get would not actually look in this

This should read /etc/apt/sources.list

Mine reads (modify to suite your needs)

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted
multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main
restricted
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted
multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe
deb http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/ edgy beryl-svn
deb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/ edgy main-edgy
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu edgy-commercial main
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates restricted main
multiverse universe

> 2) Get the libraries essential for building xastir:
>    sudo apt-get install cvs autoconf automake1.9 xorg-dev lesstif2-dev

I prefer openmotif, again, this is only a preference.

> 3) Get some additional libraries that will be useful later:
>    sudo apt-get install gpsman gpsmanshp proj libmagick9-dev libdb4.4-dev

Again, I prefer graphics-magick over ImageMagick.  The former's API is
much more stable than the later.

> I think it is probably a mistake to try to install the xastir binary that is
> apparently available through apt-get, since it would install to /usr instead
> of /usr/local, and updating to CVS (or any source-built version) would require
> moving the stuff from /usr/share/xastir to /usr/local/share/xastir and
> fiddling with your xastir.cnf file.

Not necessarily, one could install the pre-built binary and still
install CVS over top by specifying --prefix in the ./configure.

Some folks just want a working binary without all of the fuss of
compiling software.  If the pre-built configuration doesn't contain the
functionality that most people want, they can either bug the package
maintainer (Hamish Moffatt, who used to hang out here...), compile from
source, or CVS.

--
Chuck