[Xastir] Installing on Ubuntu 6.10

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Nov 14 14:02:56 EST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Chuck Byam wrote:

>> I think it is probably a mistake to try to install the xastir
>> binary that is
>> apparently available through apt-get, since it would install to /
>> usr instead
>> of /usr/local, and updating to CVS (or any source-built version)
>> would require
>> moving the stuff from /usr/share/xastir to /usr/local/share/xastir
>> and
>> fiddling with your xastir.cnf file.
>>
> Not necessarily, one could install the pre-built binary and still
> install CVS over top by specifying --prefix in the ./configure.

Another way is to use checkinstall instead of 'make-install'.  It
will still install in /usr/local/share/xastir, but will create a .deb
package of the installation and remove the existing package.  This
isn't the same as the way a maintainer like Hamish would create the
package, but avoids conflicts and keeps apt happy.

Bob, N7XY